Categories

News (37) Tutorial (16) Applications (10) Knowledge (10) Review (6) Games (4) Rumours (4) Health (1)

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Xperia X10 Éclair update Review



Okay, I’ve now been running the Android 2.1 update for the Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 for around 24 hours and thought I’d share my initial impressions. I normally backup and restore my phone using MyBackupPro, but refrained this time as I wanted to set it up from scratch to best see what’s different.
Once the firmware was initially downloaded I was a little underwhelmed, this was mainly because there was a lot of lag, both in scrolling the menus and navigating apps. For some reason or the other, this seems to have subsided and I now find it as quick as before. It is nice to see that live wallpapers do not kill the CPU as much as I’d feared. Menus are still reasonably zippy and I would have no problem running live wallpaper on a day-to-day basis.
I have to say that I prefer the new lock screen. Whilst the arc lock looked cool, I often found it getting stuck, requiring two/three attempts to unlock the screen. I also like the fact that I can mute the phone directly from the lock screen.
The new launcher has a different look about it, apps seem to stand out more (most likely due to the darker blue theme), but the increased home screens (5) and icons per page (20) are most welcome. One thing that did annoy me on the default settings was that window animations were enabled, this meant disorienting effects when navigating apps – this setting was promptly disabled. Of course, being able to access some very useful Android 2.1-only apps is also handy.
It’s not all roses though. The Android Market has been playing up with apps not installing and the brightness levels need to be cranked higher than before (probably at the expense of battery life). The auto-brightness mode is also gone, although this was not something I used in the past.
I’ve not had a chance to try the HD video recording functionality yet, but will report back in due course, along with our findings on battery life. Overall, I feel this has been a worthy update. Sony Ericsson has no doubt worked for a long time to get it right and despite a few bugs (that I expect will get ironed out soon) the X10 feels refreshed and, for once, I don’t feel like a third-world Android citizen.

Source: www.xperiaX10.net

No comments:

Post a Comment